Namecoin is a decentralized open source information registration and transfer system based on the Bitcoin cryptocurrency.
What does it do?
- Securely record and transfer arbitrary names (keys).
- Attach a value (data) to the names
(up to 520 bytes, more in the future).
- Transact namecoins, the digital currency (ℕ, NMC).
What can it be used for?
- Protect free-speech rights online by making the web more resistant to censorship.
- Access websites using the .bit domain (with TLS/SSL).
- Store identity information such as email, GPG key, BTC address, TLS fingerprints, Bitmessage address, etc.
- Human readable Tor .onion names/domains.
- File signatures, Voting, bonds/stocks,/shares, web of trust, escrow and notary services (to be implemented).
2015-07-29 Warning: severe vulnerability disclosed - be careful.
2015-05-19 Check out the Namecoin Bounty Cornucopia.
2015-03-20 Interview with Namecoin lead developer Daniel Kraft.
2014-12-19 Softfork upcoming with block 212500 (around New Year's Eve). Pool operators and solo miners please update to v0.3.80 asap. Regular users are recommended to update, too. See the Release notes.
2014-12-16 As of block 210000 the Namecoin block reward halved to 25NMC. Happy halving day!
2014-04-20 Thanks to Shobute for designing and Indolering for pushing the new website.
2014-04-17 The Namecoin blockchain is now three years old. Happy birthday!
Official anouncements will also be made on this BitcoinTalk thread.
Help keep us strong.
- NMC: NDtPuyg3adscr6HCE1GUiSsKPtA8ewKgz3
- BTC: 17Si1rdVd6gaYbwLq9NkXtGV9Qzt3NmTKa